Friday, February 18, 2011

Will He Catch You Sleeping?






On the night He was betrayed, Jesus and His disciples were in the garden of Gethsemane. Taking Peter, James and John aside, He told them to "Stay here and watch" while he went further to pray. But three times he came and found them sleeping, why? Because, as it is written, "…The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." (Mark 14:38)

And maybe that’s what happens to you! Many times you receive instructions and direction but you find yourself weak to obey.

There are three secrets to having an effective faith which is through obedience, fighting doubts and taking action. It is not by coincidence that obedience was amongst the requirements.

It’s one of the hardest things to do because it requires sacrifice and our nature don’t want to sacrifice. Obedience to God demands you to trust and have faith in the One you do not see while putting your will aside.

"After all, you don’t want the Lord Jesus to find you
sleeping when He returns do you?"

The example of the disciples is just an illustration of how often your spirit is ready to obey but your flesh is ready to do the opposite. And that’s what the devil wants, because his nature is rebellious he wants you to be a rebel and turn against God just as he did.

At this point the disciples were unable to follow Jesus’ instructions because they were still in the flesh, they were not born of God. Therefore, though they wanted to please the Lord Jesus, they were unable to do so. And perhaps that’s your case. Though you have a sincere desire to please God and obey His instructions you find yourself doing the opposite.

This includes disobeying the directions of the authorities also, such as your parents, teachers, leaders etc. when they tell you to do something. Though it seems unrelated you are in that moment disobeying God because as it is written, "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves." (Romans 13:1-2)

The devil wants you to ‘sleep’ in your faith. But you can overcome this because as it is written "For whatever is born of God overcomes the world." (1 John 5:4)

If you want to overcome your flesh so that you may be able to please God through your obedience, seek for this new birth. After all, you don’t want the Lord Jesus to find you sleeping when He returns do you?

If you want to grow in your faith, join other youths for the Real Talk meeting every Thursday at 7pm (time may vary in some branches) in all YPG branches.




Pr Luke Castro
YPG National Coordinator


7 comments:

Sabrina Durant said...

Wow, this is something that I really needed to hear. Its so true because I remember I always use to give into the flesh side of me and it was so hard to do certain things that were required of me. But recently I had an amazing experience with God and since then my life is completing transforming. I remember in that moment before i received the new birth, I just gave everything to God. I said I want to experience this new birth like what people are talking about, I want to know who You are personally. I told God that I know that if I ask Him for bread He wouldn't give me a stone. I said that I know He would never leave me or forsake me and allow me to be lost.In that moment I just believed without expecting anything in return. Now I am strong and able to overcome my flesh and most importantly be obedient.

UYG UMLAZI said...

Something worth thinking about Pr Luke,nobody wants to be found sleeping so the only garantee that we don't sleep in our faith is the Holy Spirit.A life of sacrifice is hard and a life of sleeping is easy. Very few people choose to do what is hard while many opt for doing what's easy.I don't want to sleep in my faith so my fight is to do what is not easy.

ashley vazquez said...

Wow.! That touch me.. Sleepiness is taking over me and right now that have to change I have to obey and keep the promises I have toward God Thank you very much I really needed to hear that.

Elsie Da Silva said...

Very true! We have to wake up and be alert!
The disciples at that time didn't have the Holy Spirit to strengthen them, but we do today. He helps us stay awake in our Faith. So we have to use our Faith and be obedient and always ready to do Gods will.

Sandra Campos said...

This Blog will open people eyes because its true there is people they fall a sleep when someone eles tells them to go and do somethings that is very important and thats what i had to learn to not be a sleep to move around and do something because when your a sleep then thats when the devil attacks without you even knowing what just happenend.

jessica aguilar said...

people can easily get lazy in faith, becasue their life is going good at the moment, they have no problems, but as soon a situations, that isnt even a problem dthey easily fall, but is indeed that they havent been born of God. that is why we have to be constantly in prayer and reading the bible, because those two ways is that God talks to us, and not only listen but actually do what we have to do so that the obidience can be actually shown.

stefani lopes said...

I would always see my self saying ill do it. but then ill see my self sleeping! this is intresting connects with my life.now im changed thank God! stefani pompano florida simeon tribe